Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Funeral

Josh Gunderson age 20 died in Puerta Vallarta while on spring break. He was a hockey standout at Stillwater high school and a student at St. Thomas and also played hockey there.

Many of you probably think the connection that I have with Josh would be through hockey. That is not the case. His paternal grandmother and I have been friends since childhood.

The visitation was Monday, March 30. I have never been to a bigger wake in my life. There were lines of people, cars parked blocks away. The theme (if you can call it that) was hockey. Everybody and then some who had anything to do with Stillwater/St. Thomas/youth hockey was there. Josh was cremated and they had his ashes in his hockey skates.

Funeral was Tuesday morning at St. Michaels church in Stillwater. Once again it was packed with people. During the service every cell in my body was saying, "this is not right--this is so wrong. One does not bury their grandson." My thoughts kept going to Diane. She not only had the pain of losing Josh but she had to watch her son go through the pain of losing his son. This whole thing is unspeakable and it should not be this way. What does one say or do?? Another heart wrenching thought was Diane buried her 21 year old son who was killed in a car accident about 20 years ago and now she has to go through this again.

Didn't get a chance to talk to Diane much. The few words I did have with her she seemed numb and spent (understandably so) After I got home I could not get her off my mind. Late in the afternoon the phone rang and it was her!! We talked for a long time and I felt soooo much better after. I will keep her in my prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Please extend my sympathy to Diane when you talk to her again.

    ReplyDelete