Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day 1 - On Our Way to Arizona

Before I start -- some of the minute details are for my sake so readers it might get boring.

Left Jim & Glorias about 7 am. This was different for us because we are used to traveling together and we were in separate cars with only walkie talkies.

lst stop-Mason City Iowa about 9 am for breakfast. Gloria discovered she left her watch, bracelets and earrings on the bathroom counter at her home. She good naturedly blamed it on Jim. Now in my mind it was definitely Jim's fault. Here is the story: Gloria made Jim promise to wait for her to help before loading car in the a.m. because of his bad back, etc... She was getting ready in the bathroom and heard Jim starting to carry and load. Gloria being the kind and caring person she is quickly got out there to help before he got hurt. Then we came and of course, Pudge is chomping at the bit to get going. So, dear readers, what do you think. Please vote on whose fault you think. This is what you are voting on: Do you think kind and considerate Gloria is to blame or stubborn, Norwegian Jim? You can vote in the comments but if you are anonymous please state your name. I will let you know the results.

Approaching Des Moines there were signs above the freeway flashing "ice storm warning till 3 pm. Oh great!! Not crazy about that news. So far so good--roads not bad. Then we started seeing cars in ditch and a lot of them--some tipped over. Travel lanes on freeway still did not seem that bad. We speculated that they all must have went in last night which we found out was indeed the case.

2nd stop-St. Charles, Iowa--the gateway to Bridges of Madison County. Mental note-this might be fun to explore at some later date. We just got out of car and walked. The side roads were very slippery.

Pudge is in his element. He loves driving. He has his mug of coffee next to him and he is driving the freeway with a destination in mind. I would be hard pressed to pick out his first love out of the following 3 things: hockey arenas, golf courses, and driving. I'm liking this too. I am wrapped up in down comforter and reading magazines and books. Life is good.

Crossed into Missouri. Got gas for $1.39. We liked that.

Approaching Topeka. We are about 1 hour away from hotel. Starts to snow. It gets worse. I am on the edge of my seat and so glad I am not driving. I feel sorry for Gloria because it was her turn to drive and she got into all this and there was no place to stop to change. Car ahead of us almost loses it. Conditions get worse. It is scary. So glad to pull into the hotel. Thank you Bryan for reserving this for us. All four of us appreciate it very much. Poured a glass of wine for Gloria and me. Pudge kicked Gloria's butt in a few games of cribbidge. Jim has a cocktail. We freshen up and go for dinner. Forgot to mention--today is Jim's 67th birthday. He got ice cream with candle and we sang happy birthday.

It is now 8:45. We are all in pjs, watching TV and discussing the day and tomorrow.

Don't forget to vote.

4 comments:

  1. I will look forward to your daily updates, Pat.

    I think it was Jim's fault for not listening to Gloria. She was just trying to be a kink and loving wife!!!

    We missed you a lot yesterday at our Christmas get together. We had a lot of fun. Of course the most popular was Marshall, Relia and Plum Pudding! Your table decor was beautiful as usual.

    I hope you don't encounter any more icy roads. I know Pudge is a good driver.

    Tell Gloria I said Hi! I'll look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met Jim, so it's hard to point the blame on him, but I do blame Pudge for taking you away from our get-together last night! (Please don't tell Pudge I said this or he'll never let me talk to you again!!)

    I'm looking forward to hearing about your travels and time away from this frozen land, soaking in the sun, shopping, and relaxing. You deserve the break! Enjoy, and please greet the rest for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading about your trip Keep it up! Of course it was Jim's fault--Who else would it be??!! Yesterday was just great-Relia is just a riot to watch. When I turned on the little circus wagons she started to dance to the music & she turns around &around-then you can tell she gets dizzyas she stumbles-What fun to watch her!& Marshall is a darling baby.Lynn,Bobby ,Eddie,Chad & Cassie all came.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Aunt Donna had a seizure & went to hospital but yhey do not know what caused it We will probable hear more later from our Donna

    ReplyDelete