Sunday, September 23, 2012

Happenings in My World

Junk Bonanza --continued. 
So you probably are wondering what I bought at the Junk Bonanza.  Answer:  Not too much.  I did buy some Annie Sloan paint.  Now if anyone follows any decorating blogs like I do you will know all about this paint.  So much blogging has been done and there has been very little if any criticism about it.  They were selling it there and I knew that so I planned on getting some.  This summer I went to Savage to get some.  There are very few dealers here in the Twin Cities.  It is for painting furniture.  I just opened a can two days ago and am in the process of painting a chest.  Love the way it goes on.  So very easy and very little prep work.  Not sure if I love the results.  Of course I am not done.  I will post about this project when completed.  At least I have good intentions of posting about it. 
 This is the other thing I bought.  It is a knife handle.  The blade was cut off.  There is a little suction cup so you can hang it.  You can put water in it to keep a stem alive.  I really like it.  But the best part is this is Mom's silverware.  They had all kinds to choose from but when I saw this I knew that was it. 
 Here is her set.  All of the pieces are not there.  They must have gotten lost over the years.  I remember playing in the sand with the spoons and I bet that is where some of them stayed. 
 I love the way Mom has documented things.  In the silverware chest this note was in there.  It says: "Liz Reed's lst set of silverware.  Purchased from Stanley Co. about 1951
 Friday, Sept. 21, 2012--Mahtomedi's Homecoming parade.  Krissy, Gemma, Suzette and I decided to decorate the Patty Wagon. It soon became the "Zephyr Mobile." We had fun doing it.  The theme was "Old Zephyrs Still Have It."  I hope my friend Nancy Veenis gets on this blog to see that Gregory is still alive and well (much to my husband's dismay) and was on duty for the parade. And he did a good job of it too.  There is somewhat of a story behind this guy.  Nancy bought him during the summer at a garage sale and had him in my classroom that fall.  She named him Gregory.  He sat on top of the file cabinets and at the beginning of each quarter he would hold a welcome sign for my students.  He was in about ten of Centennial's homecoming parades.  I would pull him in a wagon behind me.  Then one year he got kidnapped.  Yep--there was a ransom note on my desk.  He was gone.  Ransom was chocolate chip cookies placed by the bike racks.  He was returned after a few days.  Still not quite sure who did it and how on earth did they hide him?  He is so big.  Time for me to retire.  I really did not want to get rid of him.  But I didn;t really want him either.  He would be hard to store.  .  Nancy put him out at the senior all night party with a note saying he needed a good home.  Nobody wanted him.  I could not let him go into the dumpster.  So he came home with me and he guarded the garage for awhile.  Now he is on guard duty in the shed.  A few arguments have happened because of him.  I am not ready to get rid of him yet.  And see what a good job he did at homecoming.
 I donned my poodle skirt, saddle shoes and borrowed Jennifer's letter jacket. 
 Gemma was a Homecoming Queen Wannabe.  She had on an old formal, a tiara, large gold earring and a white wrap.  She is such a good sport.  I have to say we were a big hit all along the parade route.  Lots of people taking pictures. Nothing but good and fun comments were heard.  I was amazed at the number of people that turned out for this parade. It was so much fun.
At the end we were directed off the parade route to go into the high school parking lot.  Zephyr Mobile quit running.  Oh! Oh!  Checked the gas tank.  Suzette says "Looks pretty empty to me."  We ran out of gas.  Thank God for cell phones.  Called Pudge but he could not get to us right away because streets were blocked and traffic was bad.  Not to worry.  We had fun sitting there because we got to see the parade as everything had to go by us.
Here we are still waiting.  Pudge came and got some gas into the tank.  It started right up and we proceeded to go to my house for wine and conversation.  Pudge had made a big pot of chili that day so we dined on that.  I wish I would have taken pictures of the table that I set. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog entry! Pat, the knife handle vase is a great keepsake - so simple, so special! I also loved the way your mom documented everything. The album she made for our family is so well organized. I had no idea she had kept letters, newspaper articles, etc.

    The homecoming float is excellent! I can see why it was such a hit! How nice that Gemma and Suzette felt well enough to participate. Oh, and you look like one of the kids!

    Now that you have the knack of blogging down, I encourage you to keep it up.